[RC] [RC] To breed or not to breed - - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Becky,

Well, no one can really answer that question for you, except you. :)

That said, you've worked up a pretty good pro-con list.

I am a breeder and a rider, so I face this question.  The very
traits that make a mare a good/great riding and performance horse
are the same traits that make her a mare that should be bred.  And,
right now I've made that decision on the mare I've been riding --
she's going to be bred.  BUT, I have other horses that will step
up in her place as my riding/competing horses, and I will just
continue to ride her for pleasure (no reason to stop doing that!).

I think if I didn't have the breeding-bug (it's a disease), I
would keep riding the mare I've been competing with.  She's my
partner and I love riding her, and she loves going out and going
down the trail.  If she were my only riding horse (and I didn't
have the breeding-bug), and I was worried about a future
replacement, I'd start looking for a youngster rather than breed.  If you buy,
you can get exactly what you want.  No guessing.  And,
it'll most likely be less expensive that way.

BTW, I did a quick look at your mare's sire's pedigree.  He fits
right in with the current bloodline thread: he's CMK & old Polish.

~Nicole

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight! Heidi
Sowards... but then again... REAL endurance is riding behind someone who
ate egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ author unkown