[RC] Spanish Colonial Horses genetic etc. - Ed & Wendy Hauser

At the suggestion of Karen Bratcher (Thanks a lot Karen), I was able to look
up a number of web sites relating to Spanish horses, and particularly the
Sulphur herd.

These sites have increased my understanding of what various groups have done
for years in efforts to preserve these horses.  I had some knowledge of the
"Spanish Mustang Registry", but none of the other efforts.

Anyway, http://www.sulphurhorse.com/DrPhil1993.html, has a good discussion
which even includes footnotes.  I have reproduced one below:

"1Gus Cothran's 1997 genetic marker evaluation confirmed that the Sulphur
horses do "cluster in the Iberian breeds" and that the Sulphurs carry a
marker unique to that herd. However, in 2003 Dr. Sponenerg cautioned that:
"ANY of these small groups could have a unique marker, but this does not
help us much. Colonial Spanish horses, and their conservation, are all about
type and history, as Gus will tell you as well. Type, Type, Type. Very
occasionally does the bloodtyping have a "make or break" type of
contribution to make. It is invaluable in those situations, which is why it
is such a useful tool...You CANNOT succeed by conserving these horses based
on bloodtype. You must resort to history, conformational/type analysis, and
then bloodtyping as well." (Also see History, Blood Typing and "Just
Looking": Evaluating Spanish Horses). Dr. Sponenberg's point is supported by
an April 29, 1993 letter from Gus Cothran to one of the above Sulphur
owners. In that letter, Cothran stated: "I did in fact receive blood samples
of the three horses you asked about and here are their blood types. All
three horses carry the marker H1 in the Tf system which stongly signifies
Spanish ancestry." However, these were three horses that Sponenberg rated in
the bottom third for Spanish phenotype. (Part of the results on the 1997
report can be seen at www.sulphurs.com. We have chosen not to reproduce it
here because the information and results are preliminary, and Dr Cothran's
conclusions may be modified as his research progresses."

This footnote is congruent with Heidi's posts.  Note that this researcher
feels that while genetic markers exist, they are only suggestive and that
the way to preserve these horses is to continue the classic breeding
programs.  (My definition of a classic breeding program is that you decide
what a breed should look and perform like and then select individuals to
breed on that come closest to the ideal.)

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards