Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] appys

Laura, perhaps you got the idea from a foundation appaloosa breeder like us.  The registry is small (compared to the ApHC).  The Foundation Appaloosa Horse Registry (FAHR) is dedicated to Appaloosa x Appaloosa breeding. NO outcrosses here.  You can visit their website at www.foundationapp.org  . There is a lot of interesting history of the breed here also.  Our horses must be ApHC registered and to be FAHR eligible there is a pedigree criteria that must be met.

The ApHC www.appaloosa.com is a color breed.  Grey is perfectly acceptable to them.

FAHR is a blood breed.  The purpose of which is to not only produce a lot of loud, contrasting color, but to perpetuate conformation, strength, stamina, versatility and disposition. FAHR does NOT allow the grey gene, dun or buckskin, high white markings or any Paint characteristics.  I am just skimming the top here.  Visit the web site for detailed information.

Regarding the greying gene, how would you feel if you had a beautiful, loud black leopard and as time passes he loses his spots?  Case in point, "I Love Willie" is a stallion who was exeptional on the race track.  When he was racing he was a leopard, now he is not.

Solids are definately registerable (with restrictions) with the ApHC.  Have you been to an Appaloosa show recently?  Many, many solids competing.  It looks like an AQHA show, not an Appy show.  Same with racing.

Hope this helps.

See you on the trail...................Merry

Elkenchild@xxxxxxx wrote:
Oh good! That's so weird, I was entirely convinced that in the last five years ApHa has stopped allowing quarter horse, thoroughbred, and arabian crosses. I have no idea where I got that idea! Did they stop allowing non-colored registration, or did I imagine that too?

Laura
"Not all who wander are lost." (jrr tolkien)

Be Happy, ride an Appy
www.hurricaneranch.net

Be Happy, ride an Appy
www.hurricaneranch.net