RE: [RC] Riding with a cast - abigail Madden

I was going to keep my fingers quiet, but I just can't after reading so many posts on this subject.

Last year I had a ligament graft done on my ankle.  They took the ligament from higher up in my leg and then fixed my ankle with it.  I was in the hospital for a couple days then propped up at home with a cast from my toes to just below my knee.  Once I could tolerate the pain of having the foot hang I went to see my horses (two distance horses, one mounted enforcement).  All needed exercise and training.  I got Magic (the mounted horse and rock solid of the bunch) out, saddled him and climbed aboard.  Then it hit me that I was doing something pretty silly.  Sure, Magic probably wouldn't dump me and even if he did, I'm pretty good at landing well even on the involuntary dismounts, but what if he does and he get's hurt and I can't get help for him because I'm gimped up.  I'd have a pretty hard time getting over it if one of my "kids" got hurt and I couldn't help them because I was riding when I probably shouldn't have been.  So, I climbed off, unsaddled, and rode the pine until I was in better condition.

Now I'm not saying that people who aren't in prime physical shape shouldn't ride because they may not be able to help their mount in an emergency.  I'm saying to do the best with what you have.  If you break your ankle, let it heal and re-hab well so that you can ride hard another day.  Don't risk keeping yourself out of the game even longer.  If I lose my arm tomorrow, I'll still ride (and ride like a demon), but I'll make sure I'm healed up before I go again rather than take a chance on making a short lay-up a long lay up.

On another note.......Insurance.  Insurance companies already don't like to pay for our horsey related injuries.  I'd hate to give them any more ammunition than they already have.  "You broke your ankle when your horse fell on you and then you had it casted and while riding got your cast caught on the rigging and you got dragged by the horse."  Yikes!!!!

Just my two cents.............

abigail<<<who has done plenty of stupid stuff and sometimes not come out of it so well
Chico, CA