Re: [RC] Countdown to Tevis part 4 - Cora

Best of luck to you, you'll have memories for ever...Cora
----- Original Message -----
From: <Cowgirgoof@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 5:24 PM
Subject: [RC] Countdown to Tevis part 4

Well...time draws near now for Roxanne and I.
For those of you following our Tevis saga, it's only seven weeks out until
we load up our horses in Florida, and head 3000 miles across country to CA.
Roxanne has had successes with Shar Po after resting him much of the early
spring. She completed the Ponce DeLeon 50 in the panhandle in April, then
went on to complete the Biltmore 100 a few weeks ago.
I just rode "Gorgeous George" the mustang on the Liberty Run 55 last
Friday. For those of you who didn't read my earlier posts, my horse has had
continuing grade one lamenesses, so Ed and Kathy Kilpatrick have loaned me
George to ride Tevis on. George just finished the Ponce Deleon 75 at the end
of April, and several other 50's throughout the winter and spring.

Liberty Run was a hot as everyone has been claiming, although the big
difference was it didn't bother me one bit. I have been preparing for Tevis
with a vengence by jogging 2 miles three days a week, and biking 6 miles the
other 4 days. I've also been riding my six year old horse up in the hills of
Sugarloaf mountain (our only hill work in Fla!).
At Liberty Run, I drank 160 ounces of fluid the day before my ride, then
downed another 24 ounces before mounting up. Yes, I did have to "go" bad
during the first loop, but it is so worth it not to "bonk" out later in the
day! I ate pasta and a steak sandwich during the vet checks, and even had a
pack of Emergen-C (which I HATE), during the third vet check. All this keep
me in high spirits with plenty of energy.
Now all I need is to get my riding muscles used to riding George (I
brought him home with me from Liberty Run for the last two months before
leaving for Tevis).
I intend to do some hill work with him with a heart monitor, to see how
he's handling it. The only way we have to prepare a horse for the harder
terrain out west is to trot on pavement, and it's worked for me before when
I did the OD 50 and the VA three-day 100.

Overall, I'm getting real excited. I was able to talk some more at Liberty
Run to Claude and Marion Brewer who did Tevis last year from NC, and Ann
Coefield, who rode it on a lease horse in 1987.

Roxanne and I are planning a weekend mountain training ride about a month
prior to leaving, just to "test" things out.
I hope to journal the trip out west, and we should have some access to a
PC while on the road, so we can keep everyone posted.

Thanks to all the great support from the southeast region riders,
including the Distance Depot and Runningbear tack.

Becky Siler, Roxanne Ciccone- Tevis bound...
And remember, an arab's fourth gait is the spook!
~  Jeanie Miller

In my experience (22 year worth) most endurance riders are great people who
will go out their way to help and be friendly.
~  Laura Hayes