Re: [RC] methods to encourage drinking in ridecamp - Truman Prevatt

A lot probably has to do with how much experience they have being "on their own."  If  horses are used to going out along, training alone - at least some - at home then separation anxiety shouldn't be a big deal at a ride. However, if they always ride with their buddy and all of a sudden they are at a ride without him - some horses are going to have a probelm with that.

While some people don't like to ride alone, I feel it is wonderful training for the horses because they won't always have their buddy or even a new buddy to ride with. Teaches them to grow up and be big boys and girls and face the cold, scarey world on their own :-).

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Do they settle more if their buddy isn't there?

It really depends on the horse.  I was concerned about the horse that
we're just getting started, because he is REALLY bonded with his buddy in
camp when the buddy is there.  (He has been fine going off and leaving his
buddy out on the trail, although I doubt he would have been as tolerant if
the buddy had gone off and left HIM.)  As it turned out, he was far more
confident in himself when the buddy wasn't there at all.

My experience has been that if buddies come to the ride together, then it
can be a real pain to do anything with just one of them.  But horses are
variable if the buddy stays home completely--some don't do as well, while
others (like this one of ours) do better.

Heidi

--
"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity

"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity.

  For this reason, he has integrity. The person of inferior integrity

  never loses sight of his integrity.  For this reason, he lacks integrity."