[RC] Bear Excitement - Lisa M Pardus

Hi all,
Well, it finally happened. A Black Bear came in our yard, within ten
feet of my husband while he was yelling at it to go away, to get at our
cat food (yes, it is in a trash can with a lid on it). He also approached
my barking Australian Shepherd to get HIS food.
What amazed me though, and is relevant to this board, is that the two
times he came (the second time I am SURE we scared him off) my mare
nickered at me. Yes, me. Not the colts (they were not running around the
first time) not my husband (she didn't nicker till she saw me, even
though she could see the bear, and my husband first) but me.
At first I wasn't sure about it, but the second time I was positive. It
wasn't an "I'm hungry" nicker, and not really worried (that would be high
pitched and nervous) but was low and solid. Almost like she wanted me to
tell her she was fine.
Oh, yeah, I do remember her nickering when the police officer came, and
she heard my voice talking to the officer. I called to her then, although
she didn't see me that time.
Has any one had one of their Arabs do this under such a potentially
dangerous situation? Am I seeing something that isn't there? Is she
concerned about me and the situation?
I was proud she didn't seem scared, and glad too. That assured me it
hasn't come around the horses that much. I guess I know why my German
Shepherd has been upset the past couple of times I have walked him at
that end of our property. I will pay more attention to him from now on,
THAT is for sure!
In His Hands,
Lisa P.
http://forums.outbackacres.com
Florida's Endurance Forum
http://floridajeepers.myforums.net  The home on the web for Florida's
Jeepers
If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair