[RC] Problems with electrolytes - DreamWeaver

I've got a problem and I need advice. I realize there are probably different answers but I'd like to hear them all. I live in SE Tennessee and have been doing 25's on my 9 yr. old mare for a couple of seasons. She is off the track and she does go into race horse mode at the endurance rides. Trying to rate her speed is very hard and tiring.

Of course it is, riding horses like that for only 25 miles only teaches them that they aren't going to really work, and aren't going to get all that tired. This is why I have often said that taking one of my horses on LD rides was the biggest mistake I ever made with him. It taught him all the wrong things, and made him really difficult to rate and control. He never had to learn to really take care of himself, because he was done before he needed to, and still got all A's on his vet card. Some horses just need the longer distances mentally, or else you end up working thru issues that you created in the first place.

We spent the hold with me sitting on the edge of the water tank and she still didn't drink.

Next time, take her for a walk around the vet check. Even out onto the trail and back in again (as long as it is okay with RM), and casually walk by the trough. If there is something for her to eat, try to get her to eat, then walk, then usually the drinking will follow.

Even when mine are eating well during a lunch break I will pull them away to walk over to a trough and back. They might not drink, but they probably do most of the time, and then they go back to eating. On the other hand, if the horse is dehydrated and is not drinking, why take the risk of continuing? That is a big clue. Most horses that won't drink are simply being ridden too fast.

Every horse is different with what they will accept. You can try using elytes mixed in the food and if that works great. If not, then timing can be everything in regards to whether or not it affects your horses mood (attitude) about eating and drinking after they have been dosed. I think that my horses have probably been caused to not drink by being given elytes more than they have been inspired to drink by being given elytes. (because they always drink well when given no electrolytes) Now I know to hold their head up, rub underneath their chin/jugular area and walk them around. That at least speeds them up getting over their 'tude about the whole thing.

Karen
in NV

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want. ~ Homer Safferwiffle