[RC] at the ride - Kathy Ramspott

At the risk of really embarrassing myself I am going to ask thee most basic question there is:

Do I have the order of events correct at a ride?  Yes, I have volunteered at a ride but was only the time in/out person along with many others and yes I have done 1 LD but I had the most wonderful crew folks (hubby and Susan Reid) that you could imagine so I didn’t even have to think for myself.  So, even though it is in the handbook, it is in the information packet for the ride AND I have first had experience I still want to make sure I have it right in my pea brain.

Arrive at camp receive a ‘vet card’

Take my horse to the vets for a initial ‘exam’ where they determine my horse is in condition to compete

The ride begins

We ride a loop and come back to camp (or wherever the vetting is), I get the vet card I am carrying with me marked by someone to say this is the time I rode back into camp

I now have 30 minutes to get my horse presentable for the vet with the biggest concern being the heart rate /CRI, in this situation 60 bpm

I untack my horse, and sponge her down and assuming her heart rate is over 60 I don’t let her eat or drink just yet.

Her heart rate is 60, it is within 30 minutes of coming into camp, I take her to the vet and he/she checks heart rate, respiration etc, I trot her out and back they check heart rate again etc.

Assuming all is good I can now stay as long or short a time as I want in camp feeding/watering my horse and myself knowing that the minutes are ticking away from the maximum allowed time I have to complete so I can stay as long or short AFTER I have the horse vetted

I leave camp and do the second loop

I come back in repeat the above check in and vetting process.  Assuming it is within 6 hours (yes I am referring to a LD ride) that the vet has given my horse the ok I now have a completion.

I know this seems like old hat to most of you but for folks just starting there is a lot to remember when you are getting ready to pack, camp, ride etc. etc.

One of the reasons I ask is that I had an OT on my first ride which is fine, great learning experience but what determines an OT versus a disqualification?  That I vetted ok within 30 minutes but my overall ride time was over 6 hours?

Thanks for any input.

Kathy R - SE