Re: [RC] Tire Pressure - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Use the Maximum to 10 PSI over.  Measure when the tires are cold (driven
less than 10 mph).  The truck/auto makers recommend pressures for "average"
driving, often less than the max.  This gives the vehicle a better ride.
With cars, if there is a differential between front and rear this is
supposed to improve handling.  With trucks, it all depends on the load.  If
the bed is empty and no trailer, lower pressure in rear may improve handling
and ride.  When we are towing, we can safely assume that we are loaded.

The "Maximum" listed on the sidewalls is not some magic figure that if
exceeded will cause the tire to blow or something.  At that pressure (cold)
the tire will carry the listed weight.  If inflated a bunch over that, the
tire is more likely to be cut by hitting a pot hole or other road hazard.

It is the heat buildup that kills tires.  If  a tire is low, the sidewalls
flex more and more heat builds up, and the tire can fail.  If the tire is
inflated a bit over the maximum, there is less  heat and if the freeway does
not have a lot of sharp road hazards, this is a good trade off.

The most conservative way is to inflate to the max (cold) and go for it.

NOTE: Pressure goes up as the tire goes down the road.  DO NOT let air out
to bring the tire down to "Maximum".  This increase in pressure is already
built into the recommendations from the tire manufacturer.  In the old days
there used to be pictures in manuals showing tread wear from over and under
inflation.  Don't believe that.  That stuff was pre-radial tires.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden.
~  Maryanne Stroud Gabani