Re: [RC] Fw: Horses drinking - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 5/26/2004 11:03:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

there were
several times that he went right back to MAJOR drinking 2 and 3 times
after I'd gently suggest that we move on after his nose
came up out of the
water.

My horse know the words, "drink or go!" when we're at water.  He generally
drinks really well anyhow.  But once he's taken a drink and raises his head,
I'll gently touch his sides with my legs.  That's his signal to either get busy
drinking more NOW if he wants it, or else we're moving on.  I don't let him
piddle around at water stops.  Of course, if we're riding with friends, we all
wait for each other, and some of the horses are still in the learning curve.
But the "peer pressure" of seeing their buddies drinking is bringing a couple
of the others around nicely.  That and the East Texas 90 degree heat and high
humidity.  <G>  By the time summer *really* gets here, all of them ought to be
sucking water like suction hoses.  :)

Dawn in East Texas
Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins