Re: [RC] Re; Drinking Water - Truman Prevatt

I'm not sure anything is taught by put a time limit on drinking - except maybe drinking isn't important. First I normally ride alone and when we come to water on a training ride we have all the time in the world. If they drink they get rewarded for that. Usually once they relax they will drink. Then next is on a ride where there is some herd dynamics. At CTR's in FL everyone sends out a bucket to the water stop so there is no issues about blocking a water stop. If they want to pay more attention to other horses than me - other horses come and other horses go but we are still there. Eventually the message will get across.

Again if they drink they get rewarded. This type of work usually doesn't take that long till they learn that drinking is as much a part of the regiment as going down the trail and every time they see water - they should at least take a few sips.  Human trainers as well as sports medicine doctors will tell you that if you (the human ) wait till you are thirsty before you drink during prolonged exercise you are about 5% to 6% dehydrated before the thirst response kicks in. That's why if you are exercising you should drink early so you are not having to work your way out of a deficit. I''ve heard the same 5 to 6 percent number for horses and I sure don't want to teach my horse it's okay to build up a water deficit - I don't like the risk it puts on my horse.

Truman

Jim & Drin Becker wrote:
Truman wrote
"I've spent a lot of miles on it was LD's or CTR's if
they don't drink I get off and wait around till they do. If the don't we
wait.  If I don't finish I dont' care because I'm there for training.
They usually get the hint."

That is interesting Truman as I use the exact opposite of your training methods :-) When in training I come to a water hole I give my horse about 1 minute to put his head down and drink , if they do not I will go on down the trail and they have to wait for the next water stop for another chance . For me this has really worked well . One of my pert peeves at a ride is someone standing their horse at a water tank begging it to drink when you have thirsty horses waiting in line to get at the water . Think about this guys , back up out of the way and let the horses that want to drink tank up and then come back to it when they are finished and try again .
                                              Drin Becker
                                              Mtn Region