[RC] Torsion question - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A while back I got a demo of the Torsion saddle (I got the dressage
model b/c of the stirrup bar placement and b/c that was the only
15" demo saddle).

I rode several of my horses in it and they seemed to like it and
moved out well in it. I found it comfortable & secure feeling. I
wasn't entirely convinced that the 15" was small enough, but
I think 14" would be too small.  But, I could live with that.

Here was the problem: when I had the stirrups comfortable for
walking, they were "ok" for cantering, but way too long for
trotting. I also felt like my lower leg was swinging wildly all
over the place at the trot, even when two-pointing. I tried
shortening the stirrups to where they were comfortable at the
trot, and then they were marginally too short at the canter and
way too short at the walk (really uncomfortable). I'm not sure
what it was about the saddle that created this issue, since I've
never experienced this particular stirrup length phenomena before.

I normally ride in a dressage saddle, although before that I had
years of riding in a hunt (forward seat, jump) saddle.  I also
ride bareback often -- both with and without stirrups.  I've never
felt like my legs were swinging like that, nor had the length
issue.  Has anyone else who has ridden in the Torsion experienced
this?  If so, did you take the time to find a solution?  I really
liked the saddle as far as comfort for myself and the horses.
I really do think I need a new saddle since I have a difficult
time staying really balanced on hills in my dressage saddle.  And
I'm pretty particular about riding balanced, so when I feel like
I'm fighting the saddle it really irritates me...

Thx!
~Nicole

If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair