Re: [RC] 100 mile horse characteristics--drinking after 20 miles (also pulling) - heidi

After looking at a lot of the data and manning the scales at a few rides
 that's pretty normal. They tend to lose about 3% to 4% on the first
loop. The ones that do well tend to start to put it back on. The horses
that don't - don't tend to finish. There is one horse in the SE that
thends puts on weight every loop. Needless to say he does well. We have
had a few times where horses have lost 50 or so pounds on the first
loop. One time was a 16 hand mule that must have gone at 1200 pounds so
the weight loss while a lot was not a huge precentage. He gained 20 to
30 back by the end of the  ride. One horse I remember - about a 400 kg
Arab lost 60 pounds on the first loop and ended up being treated.

And I think that is far more relevant than the specific mileage at which
they start to drink.  If they leave drinking too late for THEIR reserves
and THEIR sweat loss, then it becomes a significant thing.  If they HAVE
the reserves and are not losing much, then they are still doing a good job
of managing their own bodies.

Granted, it is usually those that drink well early on that manage the
above, but would agree that the scales will let you know which of the
exceptions to worry about and which not to.

Heidi

When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith