[RC] out of the box - was characteristics - Timothy Worden

I'd be curious to hear from those 100 milers who start
with horses that were not "out-of-the-box" type
charactistics.  The type of the horse that was hard to
rate, highly competitive, eats ok, doesn't drink until
25miles or so.  I remember Stagg telling me that Super
was a very hard to rate horse when he started....now
look at him.  I'd hate for people aiming for 100s to
get discouraged, including myself, because their horse
currently does not fit the characteristics mentioned.
In fact, my 6y/o Quarab that I'm just starting is
horrible when comparing him to the 100 mile
characteristics that are desired.  But I just have
this feeling about him.  I'd feel like I'd be letting
myself and him down because I have not had the chance
to work things out with him and find his real
potential.  The ugly duckling didn't become a swan
overnight.  I know you can't say this for every horse
or every breed.  The two things Poco currently has
going for him is his power walk and toughness.  With
proper training, miles, and patience I believe the
rest will come.  When we achieve our goals as a
horse/rider team, they will be all that more
rewarding.

Tim - ready to head for Liberty Run!!!

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond