Re: [RC] LD vs Endurance... can't we all get along? - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Hi Cindha,

We also tried using limited speed in the lower distance practice rides during the first years of endurance in Egypt and found all sorts of interesting problems for us that were probably cultural and related to terrain. We've ended up going back to plain old 40 km rides where people have to learn to pace their horses by being eliminated for not pulsing down in 20 minutes. We had a 40 km ride yesterday at which the 6th rider in took first place because the five in front of her either didn't pulse down in time or were slightly lame. That's a learning experience.

The big problem that we had with the limited speed rides was that we didn't realise how many people weren't wearing watches and were therefore unable to judge time. No brainer, but a real problem. Now our riders have learned to wear watches. LOL. But we still have a problem with people realising that they are coming in too fast and stopping or bunching up on the track. I think that this last ride was maybe the best teaching situation.

Maryanne
Cairo, Egypt