Re: [RC] 100 mile advice... - heidi

In a message dated 5/23/2004 6:44:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
laurieunderwood@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Dear Lord, and I thought 100 was a long way!  150?  Holy smokes,
Merryben.   You folks were crazy!  lol

Not me, I just crewed.  I know they were pretty bored doing the same
loops  over and over.......mb

Here in the NW we had two 150s for awhile, and even a 200!  :-)

I remember Hanna Hollander on one of them one year, going out really fast
for 75 miles--thought she had lost her marbles, but she had a three-hour
lead on the next horse, and when she got into camp at 75, she untacked her
horse and crawled into the shade and took a nap during the heat of the
day.  Horse got a GOOD rest, and she had her crew wake her up when the 2nd
horse came into camp to start his hour hold.  She quickly tacked back up
and took off, and after that 3-hour break, was able to take back off with
still an hour's lead, and do the last 75 almost as rapidly as she did the
first 75...

Heidi

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton