Re: [RC] Training a horse to walk faster - Dot Wiggins

This question was a few days ago, but I'll try to answer it.

Try to ride with some one who will help a bit.   Ask for the best walk your horse can do.   If the other horse walks faster and yours falls behind a few lenghts, ask for a trot to catch up before "prancing" starts.  Then go back to walking.  It will take lots of time and patience, but your horse will develope more stride without the frustration of getting too far behind.     Try not to ride with the fastest walker you know for a while <bg.>     In that case, just ask for a trot, don't fight it if you can't win at least part of the time.

----- Original Message -----
From: Carol
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:55 PM
Subject: [RC] Training a horse to walk faster

I have a question. My horse walks really slow compared to my friends horses, so he'll drift back a few feet then trot to catch up. When I try to get him to walk faster, he prances, instead. I've tried everything I could think of but he just doesn't get it. Anybody out there have any surefire way to train him to walk faster?
Thanks,
Carol