Re: [RC] Yet more Selenium questions - heidi

My vet left a message on my answering machine today about my mare's
selenium levels.  Now I know from reading Heidi's posts that the normal
range is above 200. However, I don't know how to translate what he said
on the message to that target figure...and I'm hoping someone can help.
He said most horses fall in the 15-35 range but my horse Fanny is only
3.5.   Unfortunetly, he's off for the weekend and I won't speak to him
until Monday. Can someone explain to me how the numbers he gave to me
compare to the ones Heidi mentioned?

Different units--it is 1 a.m. and my brain is not functioning, but he is
reporting in something per deciliter, not ppm or ppb.  Just move the
decimal point over one place to get ppb--read his normals as 150 to 350
ppb(bottom end is still on the low side) and your mare as 35 ppb--VERY
low.

Also, doing a google on SeE supplements brought up a plethora of
possiblities to purchase.  Has anyone found the best bang for the buck?
My vet mentioned Mega Sel on the message he left...any good?

Can't remember for sure, but I think MegaSel only has 1 mg per serving.
Could be wrong.  If you will post serving size and the listed amount on
the label, I'd be happy to "translate" for you.

I personally like EqUSeE because it is ONLY selenium and vitamin E, and it
is cheap--so even though it is only 2 or 2.5 mg per "serving" you can
double or triple the serving size if need be without either costing you an
arm and a leg or doubling or tripling a bunch of other stuff along with
it.

Heidi

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing
for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland