Re: [RC] Careful what you ask for Cindy - heidi

I'm going back to some of my rides before rides were recorded:  I
finished Tevis three times, Northshore 100 once, Virginia City once.
Offhand, I can't remember anything else, but it seems like there might
be another one. I used to keep track of all my rides, but I'm not sure
where the records are.

Ah, Virginia City.  THAT brings back fond memories!  That 100 was my
first-ever endurance ride, on my trusty old Surrabu (Abu Ben Surrabu's
dad).  I was just a wet-behind-the-ears ranch kid, and thought I had a
pretty tough little horse.  I wore bluejeans, and my knees looked like
hamburger afterward.  Pat Fitzgerald marked the trail, and years later, I
heard the standard joke about how Pat would stand up at ride briefings and
show the remains of a roll of ribbon, and say "Here's the roll I marked
the 100 with, so you can see what color it is."  His markings could be
pretty sparse!  (And I remember getting on the wrong side of an
embankment, and having to scramble up it with Surrabu in the dark after I
spied a ribbon on the upper end of it with my flashlight--lucky "hit" with
the light, or I might be wandering around out there somewhere between
Washoe Lake and Virginia City to this day... <g>)  And it was certainly
breathtaking, as the moon rose from behind me, and illuminated the
Sierras--but I still couldn't see the hand in front of my face, because
there was still a mountain blocking the moonlight on the ride side of the
valley.  :-)  But we finished, at midnight on the dot, with a ride time of
17 hours.

At any rate, Karen has found the 7th one for me that was listed on the
database, and has also added my two that I did on old Surrabu
pre-database....  (His second one was the Oregon 100, which was our 3rd
endurane ride--that one was in 1975, and there had been a record set for
100 miles previous to that of 9:05, I think by Ken Coffman.  At any rate,
a wonderful mare named Misfit led the pack, with Elwin Wines aboard, at
the 1975 Oregon 100--and she shaved 50 minutes off of the previous record,
to finish in 8:15, on her way to the AERC National Championship that year.
A total of 7 of us finished faster than that 9:05 mark that
day--Surrabu's 8:46 was only good for 6th place!  Yes, Virginia, there
WERE fast 100s before the sheiks reinvented them... :-)  And I lost a race
for 5th that day to Elwin's son Forest--that was before junior riders had
sponsors, too--when I blew a stirrup just about to the finish line...  I
think Lew Hollander was 4th--Forest and I almost caught him.  And for
those of you in the NW who know Cole Still and his wife
Charlotte--Charlotte was in 7th with a sub-9 100 that day...  Forest and I
passed her with just a few miles to go, and she trotted in just several
minutes behind us.  We had 21 riders on that 100--but no other distances
offered.)

(Funny how a person can remember those picky details of those first few
100s...)

Dang, I still miss that old horse....

Heidi

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton