[RC] 25 mile pasture potato story - Magnumsmom

Someone I worked with a year or so ago told me about how
the family moved from the La Cienga (south of Santa Fe) area
up to Espanola (north of Santa Fe).  They had a couple horses,
a pony, and a few goats I think.  Oh, and no truck / trailer or
friends with the same to borrow.

The day they moved the ani-mules, she and her dad simply got
on 2 of the horses and rode the whole "herd" up to their new
place.  She said they started in the morning and got there early
afternoon... estimate 5 or 6 hours or so.  No vet checks, no
manditory holds, no entry fee.  There may have been water in the
Santa Fe River (think small creek / trickle) back then, but other
than that and maybe up by Tesuque, no water until they got the
the Pecos River (our rivers wouldn't even show up on a Canadian
map as a creek).

Mapquest plots 20.88 miles between the two towns.  The actual
distance between their old home and their new home was closer
to 25 miles than 20.

Anyways, all made it, all were fine.  They weren't in any kind of
shape at all... certainly not endurance shape, not even the goats.
Typical way to move.  No one thought twice about it.  The critters
were hungry though when they got there.  She said they sure
ate a lot for the next couple days.

Just a story out of NM,

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM