[RC] weird trail stuff. - Karen Sullivan

I agree with Jim that horses need to be pretrained to accept whatever weird stuff comes along....I always was pretty smug as I had bomproof horses but the young ones have been a challenge.

Last Friday we did a ride to town from my place (7 riders), 3 miles.  The horses were just all great.  We had my friend Carol on her seasoned Arab, Thunder lead off, as he is pretty bombproof.  I was on my young mare (fortified by one wine cooler so I was relaxed, which helped). All horses did just fine with the two Harleys that roared by on the narrow bridge.
Things were going fine when a lady pushing a baby stroller comes along.  Thunder had never seen that, really had to stop, arch his neck and bug out his eyes before he went by!

Today we were up at the State Forest for a nice trail ride.  We had the 4 year old we have had 3 months, who is coming along just fine.   There is also a CDF fire station there.  While I was getting water, a young guy comes down.  There is a helicopter pad right up above the staging area.The converstation goes like this"

him:  "We will be doing helicopter manuvers all day."

me: "good"

him:  "we will be going up and down and a lot of noise."

me. "Thats great!"

him, puzzled:  "It might scare the horses"

me: "Its good for them.  Thanks for the free training."

Well.....we did our ride and came back to helicopters going up and down.  The 4 year old was just fine.  Both my horses tied to the trailer and seemed to deal with the noise and dust quite well.  Our friend has a well seasoned paint mare who has been there many times and seen this.  But suddenly the 4 year old pulls back and starts jumping around.......seems the paint mare had spooked, which spooked my mare.  Well, the paint mare was fine with the hovering helecopter....but simultaneously, a man dropped out of a helecopter on a line.......and the wind blew a white styrafoam ice chest across the parking area.......just too much for their little horsey brains.......you can';t train for everything!!!
Karen