[RC] Vision Quest and 100s - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Mary Kornwolf mkornwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

All this talk of hallucinations brings to mind the coming-
of-age "vision quests" practiced by Native American tribes
who spent X number of days out by themselves with limited
food/ water etc. in order to experience intense dreams
and figure out their totem (animal)...or something like that

Candidly, most of my hallucinations have been behind the
wheel (rather than on horseback) while driving my rig to
get back in time for work on Monday. I pull over and sleep
when the images get too real! Thank God I've got a buddy
who usually hauls me to rides in exchange for gas $$ so
I'm not out there endangering everyone else on the road.

But getting back to the metaphysics of endurance: going
the distance of a 100 provides an extended opportunity
for reflection and introspection that is rare in our
hectic modern society. Dehydration and tiredness-inspired hallucinations are
entertaining, but also remind us that
there just may be more to reality than meets the eye.

This is much more than a "sport" for some of us, a chance to return to a more
fundamental and primitive way of living, if just for a few days, to puts the
rest of our daily grind in perspective and help shake out what really matters.

Thanks to all ride managers, vets, timers and volunteers
who are willing put in the extra time & effort required
to hold a 100!

At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden.
~  Maryanne Stroud Gabani