From: "Jim Holland" <lanconn@xxxxxxx>
To: "Mcgann, Barbara" <BarbMcGann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Karen Sullivan" <greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ridecamp (E-mail)" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] Walk?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:34:40 -0400

Actually this "bump" thing came from an old John Lyons technique. It works quite well. Has nothing to do with striding or anything else. It's an "annoyance" thing. When you do something to "bug" the horse, his tendency is to start trying things to get you to quit. You IMMEDIATELY "release" when he "guesses" the right answer.

When your horse is poking. You swing your legs and gently "bump" his sides. This is fairly easy to do and you can keep it up for a pretty good while without becoming tired. You don't do it hard. Eventually, he will get tired of having his ribs thumped and start trying things. As soon as he "walks faster", then you immediately stop swinging your legs. If he slows down, do it again, etc. Pretty soon he will learn to "hold" the speed you want to avoid getting "bumped". You can use this as a "cue" to get the walk speed you want.

Works great with my guys....now only one "bump" is required to get a faster walk. Another "bump" gets an even faster one...

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic