[RC] Re : ...Not all trails are conducive to a shorter distance ride... - A. Perez

Jonni wrote:
"If you want to see more LD rides in your region, find a spot to
put on a ride, and manage one. If you feel this is something
that there is indeed a need for, then by helping to build the
rider base of LD'ers, maybe other
managers will do the same."----------

Here on the east coast, short loops are easier to come by than
long ones.  We just don't have the wide open spaces, so there
are fewer venues for 50/100 mile rides than exist in the west.
Fewer 50/100 mile rides therefore mean fewer LD rides, due to
the rule that they must be held together.  There are plenty of
parks with 5 - 10 miles of trails... which would work for an LD,
but for a 50 or 100 you'd feel like you were on a merry-go-round
for all the loops you'd need to repeat.

As far as putting on an LD, I appreciate the suggestion, but
that's a sore subject for me: I nearly got laughed out of ride
camp (the on-line one) when I mentioned I was thinking about
organizing a CLINIC, as so few are offered in this area... here
is the friendly, encouraging response I got:

"Let me get this straight, Amanda.  You are considering
organizing a clinic on distance riding.  The experience you
would bring to this enterprise is that you once set foot in an
endurance ridecamp as a casual, last minute, add-on "crew
member" .... What in heavens name makes you think you're
qualified to organize a clinic -- except maybe hubris?  How do
you know what topics should be included?  How do you know which
speakers to invite?"

And this was just a CLINIC I was thinking about... not an actual
ride!  So... no thanks, I won't be managing any rides any time
soon, not with that kind of reception from some 'real' endurance
riders!  This was part of a long, often heated debate on RC
about why LD rides absolutely MUST be held in conjunction with
'Real' endurance rides.  To be honest, I found none of the
arguments put forth any more convincing than "... because that's
the way it has always been done, and I have a bizillion AERC
miles...", but hey, what do I know?  Until I ride in a 50, I
apparently need wear pull-ups and have help cutting my food
;-)

I love RideCamp, and have learned a tremendous amount from it,
but a few members seem to forget that reading, listening,
non-endurance riding experience, asking questions, reason and
plain old common sense CAN provide one with SOME knowlege and
in-sight into this sport: 'butt-in-saddle time' is not the ONLY
source of wisdom.

I just keep trying to remember that those voices, however loud
and un-friendly, are of a minority, and that most people on ride
camp are good eggs.

I'd be thrilled to assist anyone wanting create new LD rides in
the greater DC metro area, though, if they don't mind being
assisted by a green-horn.

---------------------------
original thread

A.P.posted>>>PS: actually the one rule I think should be changed
is that LDs must be held in conjunction with 'real' endurance
rides... if this were not the case, there might possibly be more
LD rides available, at least here in the east,  but I seem to be
the only one who feels that way.<<<

Not all trails are conducive to a shorter distance ride. Some of
the single loop rides, don't have the ability to have a trail
that would either come BACK to camp after 25 miles, or end at a
spot that riders could easily have crews and rigs come in to get
them.  The Old Warriors Water Hunt in the PS
region is a prime example. The 25 mile point is way up on the
mountain, with access only by dirt fire roads. The other thing
is some rides are billed as "tough" rides, and novice horses and
riders are discouraged from attending, thus they do not offer LD
at that ride.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris