[RC] Novice Regulations - April

Here's another point I've been pondering. If there is any sort of mandatory
regulations for novice teams, I would say the RIDER should
A) volunteer at X number of rides before attempting his/her first 50+ mile ride
OR
B) Complete Y number of 25-35 mile rides prior to attempting his/her first 50+
mile ride.

I don't think that X and Y have to be very high, either. It's amazing the
difference that actually being at a ridecamp can make in one's perspective,
which can get very skewed if all a novice does is read RC.

I think RIDERS need much more education than the horses. From listening to the
"old timers," I believe the horse can go right to 100 mile rides if the RIDER is
sufficiently educated (which I am NOT!). (And that last statement entails that
the RIDER knows when their horse is ready for a 100 and the RIDER knows how to
manage their horse through a 100).

April
Nashville, TN
(105 miles END and 105 miles LD for those that care)

joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle