Re: [RC] help with archives - Chris Paus

Well, hides are tanned with vegetable oil, so it can't
be all that bad for leather!

I think it's the stitching that people are worried
about, but on 40 year old halters, I'm resigned to the
fact that I'll probably have to replace some
stitching.

chris
--- Kristen A Fisher <kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When they were dry, I made up a bucket full of
oil,
using neatsfoot oil and vegetable oil in a big ice
cream pail. I dunked the items one at a time in
the
bucket of oil and let them soak for about an hour
or
so and hung them up  again to dry.

I thought I had heard somewhere that vegetable oil
is not good to use on
leather? Or am I confused? Oh maybe it had to do
with the threads...???

I know that Hydrophane Oil works great by itself on
leather.

Kristen

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the
vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight! Heidi
Sowards... but then again... REAL endurance is riding behind someone who
ate egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ author unkown