Re: [RC] Walk? - heidi

[Barb]
  The thing you notice about Dot is that even at a walk, her legs are
active.  She consistently bumps them in rythm with the stride
(alternating sides).
[Karen]
    *Okay, I am a bit confused here......I have heard conflicting things
about this....one that if you lightly bump the side of the horse on
the side right before the front shoulder comes forward, it will
encourage this.....

The bump actually needs to occur while the hind leg on that side is in
flight.  This IS before the shoulder goes forward as well, but I find it
easier to think in terms of what my leg is doing relative to the leg the
horse is moving.

    second, that if your legs are always moving, the horse will learn to
IGNORE cues....as in it will desensitize them.....better to give
one, understandable cue, and back it up with a light crop or spur
tap if they ignore it.

The thing with the walk is that it is like an ongoing conversation.  This
isn't a "cue" in the same sense as asking the horse to change leads or
change gaits or anything.  It is actually a gentle helper to the reflex
arc that causes the leg to move.  Hence it is a rhythm that you keep up
every stride, as long as you are trying to influence the extension of the
walk.  As you get the horse used to doing it, he doesn't need the help as
often.

    Well, I'm open minded as I have a slow walking 5 year old....pretty
lazy, but I HAVE seen times where she is motivated and is quite
capable of walking fast.....

Most of them CAN do it, with motivation...  :-)  It is a matter of
becoming the motivator as the rider, instead of leaving it to their own
devices, when they are missing their buddies or late for dinner.

Heidi

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing
for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland