Re: [RC] DQ's and boring arena work - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cindy Collins" <ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
OK.  I have one final story on taking dressage lessons.  First, know that
I HATE arena work and avoided it with contempt for 45 years of my life.
So, I still HATE arena work, but believe that it is the very best thing
I've ever done for me and my horses.  It's been worth every dime.  Thanks
for listening.  Cindy

*Yes, yuck, but that is exactly what I am doing with my just turned 5 year
old.
She has 4 1/2 years on the trail from babyhood up....and I did start her.
She has
done really well, but the dressage lessons we are doing are making a
difference in
how she carries herself and moves.  I rode her for awhile, but we were both
clueless
and not making much progress,
sigh.  Finally the instructor agreed to ride her in the lessons.  The
improvement is
remarkable...and it makes much for sense for the instructor to train her at
this point, then
give me the lessons......this will be  LONG, process....another friend is
coming on 2
years with this instructor and her horse improving all the time.  It makes
much more
sense, to me, to do this over time, as the horse matures and muscles up
(than the classic
30-60 days at a trainer and the horse is "supposed" to be finished).  Yes,
this takes longer,
but the whole process is enjoyable and less stressful to the horse.  I
continue to trail ride
her and use cues we have developed in the arena.  She is rounding up nicely
at the trot,
learning how to extent the trot....leg yield, pivots, etc.  We have been at
this over 20 lessons
and have not even begun to work on canter cues (though I do canter her
lightly on the trail).

What hit home was the time the arena was too muddy, so we did the lesson on
a long dirt road.
I was on the 4 year old, and my instructor on Fawn, the 5 year old. She did
all the bending and
leg yields and trots on the trail....and was blown away by how focused Fawn
was and not
distracted by stuff on the trail. I just laughed and said she has already
seen everything on the
trail already.....

Anyway, am enjoying the process and having a light and responsive horse.  At
age 48 this becomes
more important than a horse that can run a 50 right now.  Maybe some
day.....but we aren't going
to be really moving out fast until all the training is in place.  This is
too nice a horse to ruin.

So...I drive her to the lesson, enjoy watching, get on some, but spend a lot
of time picking rocks out of the
arena, which everyone appreciates. while the TRAINER rides my horse!

BTW, I have done a lot of riding, conditioning and trotting over the years.
Nothing about that was as hard
as trotting a circle in the arena, focusing keeping the mare light, on
contact and coming up under me....my legs
were aching after a few circuits!!!!

Karen S

At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden.
~  Maryanne Stroud Gabani

And remember, an arab's fourth gait is the spook!
~  Jeanie Miller