From: "Terri Parrot" <brncntry01@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] why we ride??

Yep, told my Doctor that I ride (for now) LDs,
explaining it was 25 miles.  He looked at my
funny-like and asked, "All in one day?"  When I
proceeded to tell him I would be starting 50's in the
fall, and hope to do a 100 a year later, I thought his
his chin was going to hit his knees as he
unbelievingly asked, "All in ONE DAY?!!"  At least he
didn't set up any psych tests for me!

Esther and Chagalle, who doesn't have a clue as to
what's coming next

--- RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 5/16/2004 10:04:04 PM Central
Standard Time,
paus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Whether we do 25s or 100s or multidays, there's
something wrong with us, LOL... we ride in rain,
snow,
heat, and  Pay for this Privelege, LOL...In the
end,
we bring home trinkets and t-shirts, piles of
dirty
stinky ride clothes, sometimes bumps and bruises,
and
dirty horses.

Chris, that about sums it up...we do this because we
love it and love
spending time with our horses and friends on the
trail.  My farrier is a team roper,
and does pretty well in the local competitions he
enters.  I've learned a lot
about team roping from him, and he asks me lots
about distance riding.  When
he asked what the prize money was, and I laughed and
said, "well, if we
complete, we usually get a t-shirt," I thought he
was going to fall over in shock!  <
VBG>  He then asked what the entry fees were, and I
told him what they average
for 25, 50, and 100 mile rides.  He asked if the 100
milers got better
prizes...I said no, they get the same t-shirt as 25
and 50 milers.  He just shook
his head.  He's always interested in my rides and
how far I've ridden lately.
When I casually mention doing a 15 or 20 mile
conditioning ride, he is amazed
that anyone routinely rides that far.  Non-distance
people clearly think we're
nuts...

Dawn in East Texas

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher