Re: [RC] Ways To Know You Are Ready for 100 Miler? - Coujurs1

In a message dated 5/17/2004 12:28:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, rides2far@xxxxxxxx writes:

In Lou Hollander's book, "Endurance Riding Beginning to Winning" he said that when your horse can do a 6 hr. 50 he's ready for a 100.

Boy, I'm glad Chewy can't read!  And I haven't ever read the book.  I think his fastest 50 prior was 6:45.  He probably wasn't quite fit enough for the 100 at Biltmore, we were out there longer than I like to be.  But he doesn't hate me, looked great the next morning and still looks good.  Needs more weight, I think (where they had the scales was not a a good place, I kept forgetting to weigh) he lost tops 20 pounds at Biltmore.

Nina