[RC] reasons for a longer shoe - Karen Sullivan

I can think of a lot:

1) more surface area hitting the ground.....all the weight of the horse is spread out more.

2) will encourage the formation of healthy heels

3)  A "short shoe" with heel hanging off the back can cause vertical stress  cracks where the shoe ends
    (like on my boarder horse)

4) an unprotected heel can bruise on the ground.

5) more support under the bony column of the leg.

I fortunately have a shoer who is excellent in backing up a shoe and fixing the typical "underrun heels" you see
far too often.  Our Anglo Arab had such underun heels she was in an 00 shoe.....over two years of correct shoeing
encouraged her to develop strong heels and the shoe size went up to a one plus.

I see such weird stuff on horses......there are the extremes of the underun heel....long toe, short shoe, there the shoe seems to be only on the front half of the hoof.........to extremely
tall heels/steep hoof.

My farrier does leave more shoe sticking out the back on the hind feet, and less on the front...but he is far better than many I see who will put as small a shoe on the foot as they can.  My farrier knows I want as big a shoe as I can have.
Karen

It is totally possible to take back the toe and breakover....back up the heel, while having a strong balanced foot.