Re: [RC] Weaning - Jim & Drin Becker

Laura wrote
"I was wondering when it's best to wean a foal (I'm sure there's many right
answers for this one)? Is it preferable to wean slowly or by separating the mare
directly? Thanks!"

Laura I weaned my last couple foals by putting the mare and foal in with a "babysitter" horse , usually an older aged gelding , let the three get used to each other and then just one morning pull the mare out and haul her away so they cannot see or hear each other for awhile . I leave the foal in the pasture that he is used to being in to cut down on the stress factor . I am getting ready to wean my 2003 fall foal next week the same way . Of course if you had a couple foals you could just leave them together for company but since I only have one every several years this way works best for me . I believe Heidi mentioned awhile ago about gelding your foal while he was still nursing the mare ? I tried it this time and this foal healed faster and with less stress than any I have ever had . Worked great for him , thanks Heidi for the idea !
                       Drin Becker
                       Mtn Region