[RC] LD/Endurance - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would like to respond to Truman's comments regarding any inclination toward
reclassifying LD as an endurance ride, simply because our demographics may be
changing or interest levels at other distances may be fluctuating. Human
marathons often offer a 10k or half-marathon at the same event, presumably for
the same reasons we offer LDs--to subsidize the cost of the entire event,
attract other like-minded participants who can't/won't go the greater distance,
attract newbies, allow for conditioning or returning injured runners. To me,
the similarities are overwhelming. Those who run the 10k do not get credit for
a marathon, regardless of the amount of participation at the other levels. The
ride lengths in endurance riding are titled so, not to be exclusionary, but to
clearly identify the differences in the preparation, training, and "enduring"
required at each level, and thus the recognition commensurate with each level
of achievement. If there were a downward trend in the interest in marathoning,
I'm quite sure the 10k industry would not then adopt the title of "marathon
running" and start awarding marathon completion recognition to its participants.
 If there are people who think that LD is so similar in the demands on the
horse and rider as what has been traditionally recognized as an endurance ride
(50 miles or greater in one day) imagine the horror you would feel if you
decided to try running a 10K, and upon starting the race you realize you
accidently got in with the marathoners and were expected to finish. The amount
of trepidation you would feel would be directly proportional to the difference
in difficulty between the two events.
 As far as the majority only doing a couple 25's a year and thus considering
those their "endurance" rides for the year,in this case the word is being used
descriptively, not to redefine the most demanding equine sport on the planet.
My wife and I recently held a yard sale over a two day period, and let me tell
you, it was a marathon. But under no circumstance did I run 26.2 miles, nor
would I expect to be given credit for having done so.
And, finally, after 20 years and 6,000 miles in this sport, it's very hard to
convince me that there is a significant number of people who bash LDers. I
mention this because it is often given as a reason for changing the status of
LD. You can't legislate morality, and you can't get respect by demanding it.
 If you wanna have the pride, you gotta do the ride.   Bruce

like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse.
~  Libby Llop