Re: [RC] [RC] FDA Warning Letter to Fort Dodge - Laurie Durgin

At my daughters trainers barn, the vet gave the Nasal Strangles, and vacinated the neck. The horse abbcessed in the neck,somehow the needle got 'contaiminated' from the Strangles.
Perhaps some was in the air, or the vets hand, etc. In a blindness case, perhaps it could have 'projected ' thru the air to the horses eyes ?

From: DarkHorseGoddess@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   FDA Warning Letter to Fort Dodge
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 23:25:06 EDT

>>With regard to abcesses following use of the IN strangles vaccine--this is
almost ALWAYS due to either improper administration or to the horse having a
pre-existing open lesion of some sort

Heidi
My horse has no open lesions and the IN was properly administrated by my Vet.
The IN Strangles caused an abscess inside my horse's head.....it was on his
brain. A spinal tap sample was sent to Gluck, to the Vet who developed the FD
IN Strangles vaccine, it was confirmed that my horse suffered an adverse
reaction to the IN vaccine and it was confirmed that it caused the brain abscess.

I have no doubt that "something" was wrong with the vaccine that was used on
my horse and the stallion that died. What are the odds that two horses
vaccinated from the same vaccine vial would have adverse reactions that caused
bastard strangles inside their bodies?

>>with the exception of the IN strangles (when appropriate) simply because at
this point it is the best thing on the market for preventing strangles

I personally spoke with the researcher who developed the Fort Dodge IN
strangles, and he is very concerned with the high amount of adverse reactions. In
fact he is in the process of developing a new strangles vaccine, this research
is being funded by the Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation.

I never asked any one to boycott Fort Dodge, I stated that I would never
again use their products, as I no longer trust Fort Dodge, their products nor the
Vets who work in the Professional Unit. Raven

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ? get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness. A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help. ~ Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science, University of Dayton