[RC] erosion & muddy trails - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole  z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

1)  Whether this is an issue depends a lot on the soil types.
I've worked in areas where horses could go through and make a
muddy mess like this and in two weeks, you'd never know
anything had gone on there.

I think in addition to soil types -- which I agree is a major
factor -- you also need to consider the weather.  In a lot of
areas in CA it only rains once in a while and is bone dry the
rest of the time.  That combo, especially with clay soil, can
make the ground dry up into "rock formations" in the shape of
whatever the ground looked like when wet.  If that's the case,
going through and making a muddy mess during/after a rain can
lead to the trails being sharp and dangerous after they dry up.

On the other hand, in the hills near us the rain itself causes
huge ruts down the middle of the trails.  This last winter I
decided to take it on myself to go out on those trails in the
days post-rain to try to ride the ruts flatter while the ground
was still soft.  In the past those ruts have been so deep and
hard that they were very dangerous after drying and stayed that
way until the next rain.  This year they seem to be much less
extreme (at least the new ones, some of the older larger ones are far too
established for mere horses to fix).

~Nicole

When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith