From: Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Bitlmore - Tie-ups - Don't Be Discouraged
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:27:45 -0400

Nancy Sluys wrote: .... My horse Indigo Blue was one of 2 horses
that tied up on the first loop of the Biltmore ride this weekend at about
5-7 miles out. I am pretty stumped as to why this happened and I was
hoping for some insight from some others experienced with this syndrome.

Nancy,

Cannot give you any simple answer.  Maggie Price who had to manage
a mare, Annie, that had a real tendency to tie-up, particularly in
spring, used to say that tie-ups occurred when about a half dozen
factors aligned up wrong.

My horse Ramegwa Drubin has tied-up a few of times including
at the Race of Champions in 1991.

Factors that seem to increase the probability of tie-up:

1) Overexcitement.  This was definitely a factor in my tie-ups.
I believe controlled starts in a large group
can contribute to this.  So I try to get isolated from a large group
as soon as possible.

2)  Any change in diet.  Spring grass in particular seems to have
chemicals in it (I am told similar to what a mare produces when in
heat) that can bring on tie-up if horses are not used to it.

3) Too rich a diet (e.g. change to alfalfa, more grain than normal.

3) Mares being in heat. Unlikely in your horse of course.

4) Dehydration which is frequently caused by travel.

5)  Being confined more than normal (classic Monday morning tie-up
syndrone.

6)  Change in weather, particularly high humidity which causes heat
build-up.

7)  Faster pace than normal frequently due to early morning excitement.  I
try
to really control the early pace to an easy working trot.

8)  Change in footing.  Soft grass or mud can cause the horse to work
harder
and in different ways than they are used.  My horse was working at a
putting
high pulse rate through those grassy fields at Biltmore even though I was
way back in the pack and asking him to take it easy.

9)  Climibing up steepish hills.  Did your tie-up occur after the grassy
stretch including the steep winding grassy hill we did about 6 or so miles
out?

10)  Horses with heavy muscles seem more prone to tie-up so again one
has to watch heat build-up.

No easy solution to problem except to try to control as many factors as
possible.

Now in terms of not getting discourged:
that horse of Maggie's Annie that
had a tendency to tie-up finished 4th in the '91 and '93 North American
and 3rd in the '92 Worlds (when Maggie was 60+  !!!)

And that horse of mine that tie-up in the '91 Race of Champions
went on to complete 33 100s including 7 wins 100s in the next year, '92
and was just inducted into the AERC Hall of Fame.

Rest, patience, careful management and persistence worked for us.
All horse are different of course.

Best of luck solving your problem and share with us what you learn.

Stagg Newman