[RC] Rider Fear - Spooky horses - Jena Williams

Spooky? Hah! I have worked out a way to deal with my horses spooks, and my anxiety/fear associated with it. I have made it a game on training rides. If he is acting goofy I intentionally spook him. I jump, I scream, I mess with his ears, make funny noises, whatever it takes. 1) this acts to de-sensitize him to such things (like screaming, I found that he will bolt. Hmmm, not a good thing if I have something to really scream about). 2) he starts to think that I have put spooky things around the world just to mess with him, so he has begun to ignore stuff. 3) it gives me something positive to do and puts me in control of the "spook" when I would otherwise be concerned with what he is going to do. And I get some good laughs out of it. (My neighbors think I am nuts)

On a ride I balance the above (no screaming... I save the really weird stuff for training rides) with focusing on the trail ahead. If I happen to see something that may cause him to spook I time a transition of some sort just before or at the time I think he would notice it. Like canter to trot, or vice-versa, or leg yield, etc. It distracts him and by the time he does notice, we are usually on our way past it so he doesn't bother with it.

For reference, I could not even ride this horse a year ago becuase he had unseated me with so many spooks that we both had developed complexes. This helped us, but we started small, and on the ground.

Jena & Temba

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle. ~ Bob Morris