Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 4:06 PM
Subject: Fw: [RC] Cold Mountain Lameness Remedy

wonder if this works like the old cowboy remedy I heard about years ago to help toughen the soles of tenderfooted horses?

Put your heavy cast iron frying pan on the hot stove, add enough bacon grease to about an inch or more deep.  When it is very hot set it on the ground and set horse's foot in it.  Horse will (?) stand till the heat works into the sensitive inner sole.  When this happens, it's done.  Start over on the other feet.
The idea was to deaden the nerves close to the surface of the sole.
Never tried it, don't know if it works, but guess it might.