[RC] old remedies - oddfarm

I have an old book published in 1887 called "Artistic Horse-Shoeing A Practical and Scientific Treatise Giving Improved Methods Of Shoeing, With Special Directions For Shaping Shoes To Cure Different Diseases Of The Foot, And For  The Correction Of Faulty Action In Trotters." by Prof. Geo. E. Rich.

I wish I could show you some of the pictures of shoes. There is one called a stifle shoe. It is a flat shoe with two pencil thin wires crossing over each other as if to give it a spring effect. I can't imagine how that worked. The drawings of the horses feet and legs are incredible. The variety of shoes is even more so.

In the back of the book are "recipes" for illnesses and injuries.

Weak eyes or hooks, bleed two gallons.

Lung Fever, bleed 4 gallons, blister over the lungs.

Disease of the Kidneys, Blister over kidneys.

Colic, take laudanum, sulphuric ether, water, milk and drench, ( I don't know if that means dump it on the horse or make him drink it) and if not better in fifty minutes, bleed and repeat the drench.

Founder, Bleed 3 or 4 gallons or until he falls. (I swear!) Give a mixture of aloes, drachms gamboge, oil of sassafras and follow with sassafras tea. Turn up his feed and fill them full of boiling hot lard, bathe his legs in hot water and rub them well. This will never fail to cure in forty-eight hours.

It's a wonder horses and mules aren't extinct with that kind of medicine! So, I guess some of it must have worked. This is one of my favorite books. Guess where I found it?? e-BAY!

Lisa Salas, The Odd fARM