Re: [RC] 25 miler dogs - oddfarm

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] 25 miler dogs

We had an off the track greyhound we took riding a few times. They tell you never to let them off leash, but ours was so nervous and bonded to people I truly doubt she would have left our side.  Problem was that her skin was just like tissue paper, extremely thin and tore too easily on brush and rocks.  Also...I wonder if since they are built to be sprinters, that endurance might not be the right activity. Ours was so darn thin, we tried everything to get some weight on her so she didn't look like a rack of bones.  I can't imagine having that dog burn calories running for 25 miles!

Lisa Salas, don't you have greyhounds?  What is your experience?

Well, my experience with greyhounds has been this.
Our first one was Grace. She was two when we adopted her from the SPCA. We quickly found out that if you left the door or gate open, she was gone. I could go through a tank of gas looking for, and chasing that dog. When I did catch her, I would open the door to the van and she would jump in. We would get home, and I would have to CARRY her into the house where she would proceed to go into a coma until the next time.

So, I decided to try and take her running with me. I witnessed first hand her running and endurance ability and wondered if I could even keep up. We would get onto the trail, run fast for about 5 minutes and then she would colapse. HUH? I swear, panting and going into heatstroke. I would run to the car, drive to where she was passed out, load her up and rush her to the hospital. Dumb me.

After spending all that was in my checking account, I came to the conclusion that she could run far and fast when the gate was open, but taking her running with me was going to bleed me dry. Unfortunately, one time our gate was left open and she got hit by a car. They gave her a slim to none chance of ever walking again. However, I re-filled my checking account and lo and behold, after thousands of dollars she was walking. After a while, she could even run, although the back feet sometimes out ran the front feet.
I haven't had a greyhound that did well in obediance class yet, so I would never let one off the leash. And as far as taking them out in the woods, well our dogs look like quilts because of all the stiches they have had. Our last one is Shamus and he is now about 10 years old. He has a scar on his lip, is missing a toenail, broke his tail sometime, (we don't know when) and has had more stiches than grandma's homestiched quilt. They are not very sturdy dogs.

I have loved all my greyhounds. They are thee sweetest dogs and just loved to be loved. They are not protection dogs, are not the brightest bulb in the box, and don't tolerate pain very well. Even though my dogs have never been ideal endurance companions, they sure have been great to come home to.

Peace be with you Gracie, Spark my Bark, and Hanky-Panky.
Lisa Salas, Teh Odd Farm