[RC] 25 mile dogs - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

May I recommend that marvelous breed (?) the Egyptian baladi dog... We have a great one who hangs around Morad's stables and has done serious mileage across sand that you would not want to walk over barefoot because it's been baking in a scorching sun all day. Bessa has some shepherd in her mix and her daughters Raousha and Adib are half black lab. These ladies regularly accompany riders out in the desert and through the countryside, logging in all of our mileage PLUS the extra that they take to participate in the Desert Dog Wars that come to a peak around the breeding season. These girls are truly savvy in the ways of survival and when they find themselves outnumbered will come to trot between two horses because they know that although given half a chance any of our horses will reach out and pull their tails, the horses will not allow strange dogs into the formation. I own two of Bessa's grand daughters, Anzac and Ganja, and Ganja would be out there in a minute if I let her. Bess has also completed in competitions because we can't keep her home. I think her longest and most successful was a 1st place 70 km. Not bad.

These dogs are the local farm dogs/feral dogs and when they adopt a family they are fiercely loyal. They are never trained by the farmers who wouldn't deign to talk to a dog, but they protect kids, chickens, goats, sheep, horses, cows, everything. They never go raiding a neighbour's farm. They will bark at riders who go through their territory but I've never seen them bite anyone. They are tough, smart, low maintenance and best of all, free. I don't know how many families living in Egypt have returned home to the US or Europe with one or two of these amazing dogs, but it has to be in the thousands. I've had three in addition to Ganja and Anzac and they never fail to perform beyond expectations. My oldest now is Stella at 16 years the undisputed leader of the house pack.

Anyone want a dog?

Maryanne
Cairo
endurance dog capital of the world.