Re: [RC] Rhodesian Ridgebacks - Karen Sullivan

At 04:02 PM 1/8/04 -0700, Michelle Fink wrote:
My 7 y.o. female Ridgeback is very different than those that have been
described.  She is a total couch potato, and doesn't like to go with me
when
I am biking or horseback.  >

Marv Walker then writes:
when> you let her out you didn't know where she was going to end up
and she followed directions like a rock.

She spends about 95% of the day sleeping, it's her passion....

We have had 5 of them over the years.  They have a brain all
right.  The problem is figuring out which one is using it.  One
ate a pail of supplement and laid in the yard all night moaning,
groaning and farting.
Marv "Hunting lions??  Guarding diamonds??? Chasing after
horses??  Yeah, right!  I'll pasZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!" Walker
http://VideoBookStore.com

Okay, I can't help it here, I JUST have to post!  First, apologies to those
of you who have had
good luck with Ridgebacks....I know Debbie Whaley has some lovely
dogs....that actually love
to go riding with her!

but my experience was a disappointment.  I "selected" Ridgebacks due to the
fact they had short
coats, could tolerate heat and were BRED to run with horses!  I was looking
for a running and riding
companion.  Our first was a male rescue, with a checkered past, so we can
forgive him for being scared
of horses and country liife.  His passion was sleeping on the couch.  My
husband claimed he was half
Ridgeback and half cement block, as far as smarts...but he was a sweetie and
great with the kids.

Our second was a female, great bloodlines, raised with my kids, horses, etc.
She also would prefer to sleep
on the couch, and BOTH of them would hide when I got my running shoes out or
hitched up the trailer.
Neither liked to go with the horses, or jog.  She also was not big on
smarts.  One day she got her head stuck
in a biscuit box, and I swear stood in one place for a half hour waiting for
morning to come....but she was also very sweet and great with kids.  I had
no complaints with temprement at all..

but NEITHER wanted to go out and run or ride with me; they were big babies!!

What I ended up with, after looking at what a lot of ranchers had in my neck
of the woods (rough terrain, very hot), were those indestructable,
psychotic, -um, I mean loyal, little Australian Cattle Dogs.  Mine lives to
run and ride with me.  Relatively short coat, tough little dog.  I won't go
in the the stories of the ones that got their heads stepped on by horses or
run over by horse trailers, and were back on the trail the next week......

Still, I loved the look of the Ridgebacks, and wish I could find one that
was more "greyhoundy" than mastif type....
Karen

Karen