Re: [RC] [RC] Southern California - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole nkinsey@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: [RC] Southern California - - Karla Watson
Paradise was Palos Verdes, just an easy drive south of Los
Angeles. I was very fortunate to grow up there.

Hey Karla, I grew up there, too!  We seem to have had nearly identical
experiences riding, too! :)

Cross country jumps even way up in the hills that Pony Club
owned.

You too, huh? ;)  I loved those suckers!

The well-maintained trails were very good trails for
conditioning. Lots of hills.

Also used to be an NATRC ride there.  I rode it once or twice and helped with
marking & then point-rode it another year -- that was a blast.

Big tunnels under the busier streets made for horses to ride
thru that were fun to swin in with horses when it rained
enough.

Thought I was the only one nutty enough to swim through the tunnels!  Musta
been because we were on Arabs who were just as willing as we were. :)

Last time I rode there in winter the tunnels were closed as soon as there was
any water in them. :(

Of course you kind of had to be a bit weathy to live there
(my parents bought property when it was cheap.

My parents still live there.  I keep telling them they need to sell and could
move into a mansion somewhere.  But, they love it there.  For years after I
left they had boarders just to keep horses there for the sake of keeping horses
in the barn; protecting the right to have horses. Unfortunately, they lost
interest in taking care of boarders, and the beautiful barn is now empty. :(

Sadly.....I hear they are currently removing the rings and
trails......

The public arenas in Rolling Hills Estates (Dapplegrey Park, Ernie Howlett, and
... oh, can't think of the name of the little one by RH Stables) are still
there as far as I know.  When we visit my folks I rarely see horses at
Dapplegrey Park, though, as we drive by. :(  I was also a member at the DLPOA
private arena, I sure hope that's still there...

I'm in Norco now.  I can attest that there are plenty of FANTASTIC trails.
However, Norco also is growing, lots of new homes that are "zoned for horses"
but aren't getting a lot of horse owners, of course.  It's only a matter of
time before that huge voting contingent hurts Norco's horsey & animal lifestyle
atmosphere.  Pedley Field (half a block from my house), which used to be VC 1
of Lynne's Norco Riverdance Ride, and was all open area for riding, is now
houses.  As is all the open area up into the hills.  It's still possible to
ride through the hills, but it's getting tougher to access them.

One thing about trail riding in Norco: the horses quickly get used to cars,
trucks, bikes, motorcycles, trashcans, lawnmowers, barking dogs, screaming
kids....

~Nicole