From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <whytrotfarms@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] arabian dispersal in kansas

aw, come on, people!   did you even read all her post?  she said the
most she was asking was $500!  for registered arabs, and she mentioned
one that was pure polish. now if this woman has truly fallen on hard
times, these horses are the only assets she has that she can get any
money  to live on and pay the rent.   give them away?  surely you can
understand why she needs to get something for them!        ed

Never mind "pure this" or "pure that." What can they do? What have they done? What have their offspring done? And if they are of value in the "pure whatever" context, then why haven't those who value that breeding snapped them up, even if just on leases to provide homes?

Sorry, Ed--but I too get a bit miffed at these sorts of ads.  Here is
someone who has gone out and invested big bucks in these horses (look at
the stallions she's bred out to, look at their stud fees, their mare care,
etc.) but has no contingency plan for them when things get rough.  She is
a part of the commercial mill where the stallion owners take the $$ from
the wannabes who think they are going to make money, but have no
conscience beyond that.

Much as this woman clearly needs money, the FIRST thing she needs is to
quit having to SPEND money.  And if that means giving the horses away, so
be it.  She mentioned that she doesn't want them to go to the
auction--well, three cheers for that, but a well-checked-out freebie home
would be far better than continuing to try to feed them and not managing
to do so.  If she is in dire straits as she says, then the longer she
holds onto them, the worse her financial situation AND the worse shape the
horses will be in, making it that much more difficult to place them.

I would be the last one to berate her for falling on hard times.  But when
that happens, the welfare of the horses needs to be paramount, and getting
them off the feed bill actually takes priority to the health of the wallet
to getting money for them, too.

Not to pick on this specific case--but these sorts of situations crop up
far too often, and need not, if folks would do some contingency planning.

Heidi

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)