RE: [RC] differences between various flex panel saddles - David LeBlanc

Glenda R. Snodgrass said:

Any of you have used different brands of flex panel saddles,
can you explain the differences to me?

I used an OF several years ago and hated it, because I was so
far from the horse.  Felt like I was sitting in a sofa
strapped to the horse's back.

I've used both a OF and a Reactor Panel. As the rider, I like both of them,
but understand how you feel about loss of contact. I think the RP gives me a
lot more contact.

I've heard that the newer, other brands of flex panel saddles
have closer contact, but trying to figure out _which_ brands
and/or which models are closer contact, well, it's pretty confusing!

I think it is a very individual thing, and you ought to look into trying
them out.

If anyone can recommend a particular endurance-style flex
panel saddle with pommel and close contact, I'd certainly
appreciate it!

I don't know of any that have a pommel. This is something that really
bothers my wife, and she complains about riding in my RP. She feels more
secure with a pommel. My experience is that the knee bolsters on my RP keep
me more secure than a Western-style endurance saddle. Also, if there's a
really low clearance, I like not having the pommel in front of me, and if
things do get out of hand and I'm thrown forward during a spook, not having
a pommel to punch me in the kidneys is very nice. It took me a little time
and some lessons to get used to an English-style saddle, but I think I'm a
better rider for it. I've also found that if I need to grab the saddle, I
can still get my hand into the front of the gullet just as quick as I can
grab a pommel. You might be like me and grow to like not having a pommel, or
you could be like my wife and not like it - YMMV.

One other thing I certainly like about the English style of saddle is that
the stirrup straps are thinner and have more spring to them. I don't get
ankle problems like I tend to with Western-type saddles.