[RC] when you find out how good a horse you have - Kathie Ford

Surprise me again!  Well this seems to be my day for stories so here I am again!  Hope you all don't mind.

After an experience I had last night while riding my horse Cira, I've been pondering all day long just how much of a gift she truly is.  And, that we have truly become partners as horse and rider.  I know you won't see it in my writing this, but I'm getting choked up just writing about it right now.

Yesterday I'd been riding with my wonderful neighbor Kathy and her daughter Tara.  After a while with them I separated and went my own way and decided to ride a little longer around our trails here at home.  While riding I'd been thinking of a fencing/trail issue we have here and decided to ride down and check it out.  This is a short ride down from the back of my house down the trail.

As I rode down the trail a neighbors dog came literally charging out at us from the house.  This dog has previously bitten a person or two, but a permanent pen had been built for this dog and he hadn't been out or seen for quite some time.  She is a small dog but extremely aggressive and has a very bad mean streak.  But as I said, she hasn't been allowed to be out and this is a popular trail section in our horse community.

Anyway, as usual when a dog comes running I face my horse to the dog and in all previous cases the dog turns and backs off or runs off.  But this time this dog meant business.  Just having the dog charge so aggressively and quite fast was dumbfounding.  All I could do was keep turning my horse in circles as the dog was trying to come in on her and bite her legs.  I couldn't believe how long this was lasting and my horse was still keeping her head and doing everything I asked her to do for the sake of us both.  A few times the dog was so darn fast and agile we couldn't turn fast enough and did come in on my horse 2-3 times and bit her on the right front leg.  Aside from trying to steer my horse to keep facing this creature I was also trying to make her back off with my crop to no avail.  At the same time the owners son (about my age) had come out and was frantically trying to call the dog off.  I was worried about him getting kicked by my horse, but she never even kicked out, she just scrambled a bit and was still turning with me to keep the dog off.  And to top it all off the guy was screaming at the dog to stop.

Thru all of this my horse Cira never faltered.  She never lost her head even when the dog did bite her.  She never reared or unseated me or even tried to bolt.  She stood her ground.

Finally, when the guy got his dog he profusely apologized.  I didn't get mad at the time because many of us know his father who is in the hospital with Hepatitis and is very very ill.  So I didn't want to add to that.

But I will tell you it was a horrible experience and one I don't want to get into again.  As I left I asked how his father was doing and left calmly and walked down the street and up another trail back to my house.  As we walked down the street she was as calm as if nothing had happened.

While on the way home I welled up with tears...but not for fear for which for some reason I didn't feel..but instead for gratitude towards Cira for taking care of both of us and not even kicking out at anything including the man trying to get the dog as he could have been hurt to. if she had...I was truly greatful in my heart and feel in Cira I have a true gift of an animal and I will forever be indebted to her boldness and bravery and for her staying with me.  After this experience I know we are now a team..true partners.

If I'd been on another horse of mine, including my 9 year old  arab mare, who is a little spooky I most likely would not be telling this story.  One of my other neighbors had a similar experince a year of so ago and was injured very very badly to where he can't work they way he did.  And he is an excellent rider/trainer/farrier.  We were very lucky to come out of this somewhat unharmed.  Cira  has two small cuts, but nothing that won't heal and because she has real tight tendons, only the skin was scuffed a bit.  She is very lucky.  I may give her some antibiotics to be on the safe side as I know bites can get infected.  But I will take good care of her and she will heal fine.

So we have been tested and thank God I was riding Cira.  She has now earned a very very special spot in my heart and my complete respect.  She is awesome and I love her!

So you all be careful when you ride but always remember to hug your horse and tell them how much you appreciate them, especially for all they do for us.

I know a horse really doesn't do anything they don't make a choice to do.  She chose to stand her ground.  I am lucky to have her!

take care and happy and SAFE riding to all!

kathie