[RC] Biltmore: at Gate 2 (21 miles) - John Teeter

Well, the calls from Angie can be wandering - I'm not really even
close to being able to capture her stream of consciousness as a
scribe.

basically, it's hot back at the Biltmore today (as expected). For
those who are up front in the 100, the pulse-down time (which is
ranging from 3->10 minutes in the first 20 runners), will be a large
part of who stays up there.

The first vet gate (at 14.2 miles/40min hold) had the first 25 riders
within 3 minutes. I'll not list them here. Pulled at the first gate
were Suzie Hayes, Vicki Stanislawski, and Cuss Politis. The second
gate (21.7 miles/40 min hold) had the top 20 within 9 minutes. Stagg
and Jan Worthington pulsed down in 3 min. most of the rest were 6-10
minutes.

09:44 18   Lewis Jennifer      Jabbar
09:44 328  Stewart Amanda      Tu Muchh
09:44 332  Swift Rita          Jayel Victor
09:45 413A Fleming Myra        Fly Like The Wind
09:48 335  Orr Kim             DMD Bays Harrah
09:48 307  Downs Kathryn       Chlosta Moondanse
09:49 433A Sandler Samantha    Redhaven's Ezekial
09:50 426A Newman Stagg        Jayel Super
09:50 444A Worthington Jan     Brown R Timothy
09:51 316  Knight Betsey       Jureeba Kassan
09:51 317  Kornwolf Mary       Shiloh
09:51 325  Sandlin Doug        Omars Apatchee
09:53 313  Isaacs Karen        Jeb
09:54 439A Thomson Sandra      RW By a Nose
09:55 406A Brucker Jonie       Electric Smoke
09:56 303  Bostic Mike         Cougar
09:57 404  Benns Wendy         Flirt with Ecstacy
09:59 412A Engsberg Sarah Hunt Koweta Vanna Kaye

The current loop is 21 Miles (with a 50 minute hold). They are doing
exit checks on most of these holds as well. Extremely cautious on a
hot day. In all, there will be 5 vet Gates (+ the finish) on the 100.

Info on the 50 next time.

Logistic problems: The 3-part Vet Gate forms are causing problems with
the out-timers - people (mainly the open AERC folks) are forgetting to
give the 3rd copy to the out timer (and b/c they don't have a crew
specifically task with taking the paper over there, they take their
horse over to the out-timer and it's congested..) The second logistic
problem is 2 latrines for everyone at the vet check area on a hot day
may be a problem.

I sent Angie one of the old black EnduranceNet t-shirts. I sent it
along more as a historical piece, but she was wearing it - but people
were beginning to stay away from her as the day got hotter.

Angie wanted me to ask ridecamp for suggestions for a slogan which she
can use to welcome HE SHK bin Sultan Al Nahyan. Seems that he has a
(now very dusty) black BMW which NEEDS to be welcomed to endurance
(it's his 1st 100) in style. Something short and easily written
quickly by finger-tip and reflecting the soul of Endurance. I will
forward suggestions. The Shiekh is 17, Bonnie and Josie near that age
as well:)

more later,

johnt (in lue of the real thing:)

http://www.enduranceworld.net/events/2004Biltmore/

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm