[RC] Biltmore Installment 3 I'm here! - rides2far

Here I am at Biltmore ... actually been there all day, now it's 11PM
and I'm at a Kinkos trying to transfer photos. First off I have some
retractions to make. That's what I get for starting my coverage from
home. >g< First, the FEI people no longer get the good parking places
near the vet check. They've been exiled to Siberia ... the very far
end of camp. Fortunately they took their scales with them so they
didn't all have to drag their tack down to weigh. It'll be near
impossible to stop at the trailer to get anything they don't have at
the check though since it's about ½ mile to the trailer.

Second ... there actually will be some shade at the vet check since
they've moved it to the other end of camp in a nice grove of trees by
a stream. Unfortunately the people with tents think no shade is too
much shade and they setup their tents under the trees! If I had no
tent I think I'd make up a quick voo doo doll of the ones who did
that.

Now, for today. I got here just in time to witness the horses
nominated for the US team being trotted out for their selectors. Talk
about hard not to covet. I want Brown R Timothy. That horse has just
been around forever and done everything and he is STUNNING! Though
he's not nominated, another stunner is Bearcat O'Reilly. He especially
endeared himself by posing for me every time I clicked.

Those who are already on the squad planned to treat this ride as a
good training ride. Val said Shahdon has been off since his IAHA
Championship win last fall, but that he's fit. She made it clear she
had no reason to try to win ... but then wasn't about to say she
wouldn't take one if somebody left her an opening. Darolyn Butler
showed up with the entourage 17-year-old son of H.H. Sheikh Sultan Bin
Zayed Al Nahyan. I asked his vet what I could call the dad for short
but all he offered was "Sheik" which feels too much like "Mister" to
me so I'll opt for Al Nahyan. Their vet was Dr. Marcello D. Grillo
formerly of Brazil. The 17 year old is here to do his first 100 and
try to qualify for the World. I saw several of his group here and
there but no sign of a 17 year old at the pre-ride meeting unless he
looks closer to 45.

Several Westerners have come in to do the 100 but are riding borrowed
horses. Bev Gray is riding HK Flashproof, Carol Giles of Oregon is
riding a SE horse, "Jasper". Dennis Summers from Washington is
riding Val's horse Dancer. Kristin Yeoman of Great Britain is riding
Val's "Ironman" in the 50 Michele Rousch of Oregon flew out to
do the 100 but her horse didn't work out so is just getting to ride
50. Becky Harris of the East Zone is on the team with her mare Honey,
but Honey had one of those parasites that burrows in the skin and it
came out in a ½ dollar sized sore on the girth so Becky is riding
Korbel, a borrowed horse.

The 100 milers will be starting at 6 AM (EST) with a controlled
start. The 50's will start at 7. The day is expected to be extremely
hot and the trail is fairly dry.

There is an AERC veterinary study being conducted by Todd Holbrook of
Oklahoma State University, Meg Sleeper and Mary Durando both of
University of Penn. They will be pulling blood and running EKG's
during the ride.

It's late and I've stolen another junior so it's off to
camp. Hopefully John can get some of the photos of these gorgeous
horses up. We'll see how well we can keep in touch tomorrow.

On a final note ... my fake tan was a disaster. I look like I tried to
tint my legs with red clay mud. I'm a streaked disaster but everyone
else had so much dirt streaked on them they either didn't notice or
care. I love endurance riders.

Later,
Angie

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow?

~  Dot Wiggins