[RC] bitless bridles - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: joyce anderson farmountainjoyce@xxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have used a jumping noseband which is similar to, and predates the current
bitless bridles.  Jumping nosebands were developed in the 60's and used by
showjumpers & foxhunters which is where I was introduced to it.  Have used now
for almost 40 years on EVERY horse I ride (only rarely have started a race in
Kimberwick with a 'new' horse whose schooling is still a bit limited).  I use
at home, in groups, and at races.  To be effective with a blood horse & in
exciting circumstances, it does require a schooled horse & rider with enough
education to use classical rein effects.  You have no hardware and very little
leverage - so need the schooling & hands to compensate.  I have found it VERY
effective for spoiled horses (particularly off the track) who have learned to
evade the rider with a bit.  If properly designed & used it has enormous
stopping power & I have now developed a 'pelham' noseband that gives me both
snaffel & curb vocabularly.  I currently ride an incredebly talented horse who
is catty, athletic, and fast accross country - with brains and agility that
make every ride a gift from the gods. However, he is also emotional, reactive,
and strong - he is constantly trying to grab the 'bit.'  I ride in company
front or behind and we did our 1st 50 this spring which was VERY intoxicating
for my x-race horse.  I tried a bitless bridle and had a major explosion - it
has too small a range of effects and I have had several arabs take violent
objection to its continuous strong effect when they get 'up!' - I find the
pelham noseband gives me a lot of shading - when my horse is good we go on very
light rein and he loves the noseband - when he gets UP! I can use the very
strong curb rein but only momentarily - as needed to get him back.  I have used
the pelham noseband now on several very strong horses & absolutely love it.
They are happy with the freedon & I am happy with the control.  I absolutely do
not advocate the noseband or bitless bridle for every rider but if properly
fitted, designed, and used they can work absolutely wonders for horses even
with 'over-the-top' personalities.

our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith